August in Florida signals back to school. School zone safety includes cars, buses, bicycles and students walking to and from school. Walking & biking is fun, but everyone needs to be safe while doing it. If your child is going to be walking or biking to school on their own, remember these tips:
- Walk and bike together.
- Go with a friend when possible.
- Pick a safe route to school and stick to it.
- When you are near the street, don’t push, shove, or chase each other.
- Be seen. Wear reflective or light colored clothing.
- Look for traffic – Look left, right, and left again before stepping into the street.
- Cross the street safely.
- Obey traffic signs, signals, and adult school crossing guards.
- Never hitchhike or take rides from people not arranged by your parents.
- Talk to your parents and teacher about any bullying that may happen during your walk.
For more information on getting to school safely, go to: http://www.walkbiketoschool.org/safety